Monday 18 February 2013

Those Days

Have you ever had one of those days when you wake up but you still feel like you're asleep? When the week's just started but you're already wishing it would end? One of those days when it doesn't even matter that you got up on the right side of the bed because you're greeted by morbid, heavy, gray clouds outside your window? You know, one of those days.

I'm having one of those days.



After a busy week all I wanted to do on the weekend was rest. Now, after a busy weekend all I want to do this week is rest!!! This morning (it's still only 8:30 as I type this) I tried working out to wake myself up but it seemed like it didn't matter how many weights I lifted (or attempted to lift) I just couldn't get the adrenaline pumping. Now as I attempt to drown myself in litres of coffee I just can't get the brain cells to ignite.

But then the little voice in the back of my head begins to whisper: "dude, what is up with all this woe is me stuff?" Wait a second, I thought the little voice was on my side! "Get on with it!" Apparently not. "Adam, we choose out attitude!" 

OK, so that last one wasn't the little voice, it was my roommate, but the point is still valid. So often I know I discount my ability to choose to just ride with how I feel. Sure, there are times where its OK to be angry or to cry or to just feel like bleh (lethargic is probably the word I'm going for), but I know for me I can use it as a bit of an excuse not to get on with life (i.e. I'm too sad to wash the dishes).

How often do we do this with our relationship with God? I know I tend to favour the excuses: "I'm too tired to pray/I'm too annoyed to love my roommate/I don't feel like being a priest so I won't even discern it". It's a challenge for me (and maybe for you too) to choose to follow God even on those days.

Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment