Thursday 17 January 2013

I am the Brave

I've been in and around youth ministry since I was in Year 12. In all that time I haven't had the chance to attend Zero Gravity. Zero Gravity (or ZG as it is affectionately known) is a camp for Catholic teens provided by Emmanuel Youth Outreach (click here to see what the camp is all about). This year I finally got to attend as a leader and I was excited to see what all the buzz was about.
Rather than give you every single detail about the camp (so much happened it would be a strain on my brain to remember it all anyway), check out this awesome video of the camp (including an interview with none other than yours truly):


I don't know about you, but I always get a little bit anxious when I'm attending something for the first time: being in an environment I'm unfamiliar with, surrounded by people I don't know is definitely outside of my comfort zone. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit anxious about going to my first Zero Gravity and not fitting in. But instead of awkwardly sitting in the back corner by myself, I felt like I was welcomed into a family. I guess that's the cool thing about Zero Gravity: it's more than a once a year camp, it's a community that supports and encourages each other to continue to journey in the faith throughout the year.
The theme of this year's camp was The Brave: to step out in our faith, to change the things we're maybe too comfortable with, or to share about what we actually get up when we're at "some Church thing". The challenge to be brave in our faith is a challenge for all of us. I know I was definitely challenged to step out more in my faith seeing 150-plus teens get so amped about being "The Brave".  Here's a challenge for you: how will you step out and be "the Brave" today?

Peace,
Adam



1 comment: