Tuesday 14 January 2014

Social Networks

It is an incredible time to be alive for creative people. Now, unlike ever before, it is so easy to create a visual, musical or literary masterpiece and share it in the blink of an eye. Which is great for me, because while I'd like to think of myself as a creative person, I've always lacked the time (read: ambition) to pursue that creativity. I can make the most dull photo look like the most amazing photo with an instagram filter. I can write enough words to fill a book on this blog without ever having to work with a publisher. My ideas and thoughts are out there in the world and I've barely lifted my fingers off the keyboard.

The danger in turning life into a facebook profile/twitter account/youtube channel/blog account is that life can't always be filtered, posted, tweeted or described in less than 140 characters. Don't believe me? Well, check this out:


Social networks are not social workers. As much as I'd like to think I solve the world's problems with this blog, I don't have all the answers. Computers and smart phones might allow us to access all sorts of philosophies and ideas and supposed "answers", but Google should never substitute our own natural "search" engine: the soul. At all points in life faith needs to keep asking the question: where am I going and what am I doing? There isn't a blog post or instructional youtube video that can give you the answer to that question. So, pocket your phone or step away from your computer RIGHT NOW and take even just one minute to ask God: what is your will for me today?

And then you can tweet about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment